Capela Sao Lourenço
(Chapel of St Lourenço) is situated on the outskirts of
The chapel was constructed in the 16th century.
was built under the orders of King Manuel to commemorate
the meeting of the armies of Nuno Álvares Pereira and
the Master of Avis
before the Battle of Aljubarrota in 1385. The
decorative, hand painted tiled freeze on the exterior
facade of the chapel depicts this meeting.